DIRECTOR OF FUNDRAISING
Montclair Local Nonprofit News, an award-winning community news nonprofit, seeks a new Director of Fundraising to aggressively increase revenue and enhance brand, and grow visibility across channels. The position will report to The Local’s Board of Trustees which includes Kathleen Carroll, former executive editor of the Associated Press, Stephen Engelberg, executive editor of ProPublica, Jake Silverstein, editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine, and Jason White, director for News Partnerships at Facebook.
The position will develop and execute an ambitious fundraising and engagement plan that builds high level/impact relationships with donors and foundations and positions the organization for sustainability, growth and impact. In addition, the position will oversee the Local’s growing Membership Program.
Nonprofit journalism is a way forward for local reporting in a shifting media landscape, and as such, the candidate should be an adaptive, creative thinker who can raise awareness about the issue, create signature fundraising campaigns, and forge alliances with local organizations and donors. If you are someone who is inspired by an opportunity to take ideas into action and make a difference, this is the job for you.
About Montclair Local
Montclair Local is a nonprofit organization supported by the community. It serves as a focal point for the town and is an essential anchor for news and information, providing a check and balance to the local government and schools while also reporting on sports and community events.
Montclair, New Jersey, is a thriving, activist community, only 13 miles away from New York City. Described in the New York Times as one the “least suburban of suburbs… celebrated by buyers for its culture and hip factor, as much as the housing stock and sophisticated post-city life,” Montclair has served as the home for celebrities such as The Late Show’s Steve Colbert, Cosmetic and Lifestyle guru Bobbi Brown, the Baseball legend the late-Yogi Berra, and actors Patrick Wilson and Dagmara Domińczyk.
The racially and economically diverse population is also the home to many of the country’s top journalists. With a mission to make Montclair “stronger through independent, in-depth, factual reporting,” The Montclair Local is the most recognized, award-winning local independent newspaper in the state of New Jersey.
● Develop and execute a comprehensive fundraising and communications strategy that aggressively increases contributed revenue generated from membership and donations, board and major donors, foundations and corporate philanthropy, and government sources.
● Establish a leadership giving strategy that secures increasing revenue from principal gifts and major donors, friends, and foundations and corporate philanthropy. Work closely with the Board of Trustees to recruit new board members who are capable of making leadership gifts and address nominating priorities.
● Create signature events (digital or in person) that raise awareness about the Local, nonprofit journalism and the contribution of the Local to the Montclair community.
● Work with the Board’s Engagement Committee to create alliances with local businesses, nonprofits, schools, and cultural organizations. Develop a corporate sponsorship program that results in audience expansion, donation, and gifts-in-kind.
General daily/weekly accountabilities
● Create and manage all fundraising materials needed to raise contributed revenue including membership appeals and communications, grant proposals, decks and pitches, budgets and reports, and supplemental materials.
Qualifications & credentials
● 7-10 years of progressive development and/or marketing and communications experience, preferably in a community-based nonprofit setting.
● Track record of success stewarding major donors and/or executing marketing efforts that raise visibility and develop audience loyalty.
● Highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
● Board relations, financial management, and supervisory experience.
● Superior organizational and project management skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
● Local, state, and/or national donor relationships and contacts a major plus.
● Proven ability to generate new opportunities, manage change, and lead entrepreneurial growth.
● Self starter, independent and proactive
● Experience with CRM, digital marketing platforms/tools
● Willingness to learn and experiment and grow with organization.
● Familiarity with Montclair and Essex County
● Some evening/weekend work required.
Montclair Local Nonprofit News, Inc. (Montclair Local) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment opportunities at Montclair Local are based upon one’s qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Montclair Local has no further staff positions open at this time, but welcomes conversations with prospective freelancers and individuals interested in joining the team in the future. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.