Kitchen fire
Firefighters respond to Cuban Pete’s on Bloomfield Avenue on Sept. 1. A fire was reported to have broken out in the restaurant’s kitchen. ERIN ROLL/STAFF

A fire broke out in the kitchen at Cuban Pete’s early Sunday evening, Sept. 1, causing the restaurant to close for the remainder of the day.

All of the patrons were evacuated from the restaurant while firefighters responded. Five engines from the Montclair Fire Department responded to the scene.

Witnesses said a gas fire broke out in the kitchen of the restaurant just after 5 p.m., causing some damage to the kitchen. There were no reports of injuries, and crews left the scene just before 6 p.m.

Restaurant staff and management said the restaurant would be closed for the remainder of the day.

Police blocked off the eastbound lane of Bloomfield Avenue from South Fullerton Avenue to Seymour Street while fire crews responded.

-Erin Roll