On Saturday, May 18, a dedication ceremony took place at Charles H. Bullock School commemorating the Washington Street Y, which was located on the site where the school now sits. For many years, the Y was a central institution for Montclair’s African-American community.
The ceremony included speeches by civic leaders, school staff and the Washington Street Y Memorial Committee, and musical performances by Hillside School’s Drums of Thunder and Montclair High School’s Madrigal Chorus. A plaque was dedicated that now graces the school’ wall.
The Charles H. Bullock School, which opened in 2010, was built on the former site of the Washington Street Y. The school was named after Charles H. Bullock, who served as the Washington Street Y’s Executive Director from 1916 to 1935.
The Washington Street Y opened in 1926 and was demolished in 2005.