Beginning June 17, NJ TRANSIT will be temporarily diverting select Midtown Direct rail service on the Montclair-Boonton Line (MOBO) to Hoboken, in order to accommodate vital Amtrak repair work that will take two tracks at Penn Station New York (PSNY) out of service. Other temporary service adjustments will include a limited number of Midtown Direct reverse-peak trains will operate from Hoboken. Work is expected to be done by Friday, Sept. 6. Regular weekday Midtown Direct service will resume on the Montclair-Boonton Line on Monday, Sept. 9.
NJ TRANSIT strongly advises customers to stay up to date during these service adjustments by visiting njtransit.com/inform. Customers may also download or update the latest version of the NJ TRANSIT mobile app and activate custom push notifications; sign up for My Transit alerts; monitor NJ TRANSIT’s main Twitter handle (@NJTRANSIT), as well as individual rail line Twitter accounts (below); and check the website at njtransit.com.
“We weighed every option in order to impact the least number of customers while maintaining as many peak period seats as possible,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director Kevin Corbett. “These service adjustments are never easy, but the necessary renewal work that is being performed by Amtrak is vital to the reliability of the system, especially in and out PSNY, which is of immense importance for NJ TRANSIT and the region.”
A.M. Peak Period PSNY Arrivals Diverted To Hoboken Arrivals:
- MOBO 6206, currently arrives at PSNY 7:40 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 7:32 a.m. and be renumbered 206.
- MOBO 6210, currently arrives at PSNY 8:20 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 8:09 a.m. and be renumbered 210.
- MOBO 6214, currently arrives at PSNY 8:59 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 8:49 a.m. and be renumbered 214.
- MOBO 6216, currently arrives at PSNY at 9:50 a.m., will arrive at Hoboken 9:42 a.m. and be renumbered 218
P.M. Peak Period PSNY Departures Diverted To Hoboken Departures:
- MOBO 6263, currently departs PSNY at 4:52 p.m., will depart Hoboken 4:54 p.m. and be renumbered 263.
- MOBO 6273, currently departs PSNY at 5:31 p.m., will depart Hoboken 5:36 p.m. and be renumbered 273.
- MOBO 6279, currently departs PSNY at 6:10 p.m., will depart Hoboken 6:22 p.m. and be renumbered 279.
- MOBO 6283, currently departs PSNY at 6:41 p.m., will depart Hoboken 6:47 p.m. and be renumbered 283.
P.M. Peak Period PSNY Arrivals Directed to Hoboken Arrivals
MOBO 250, which currently departs MSU at 4:33 p.m. toward Hoboken, will depart at 3:41 p.m. and is renumbered as train 246. Customers have two alternative options:
- MOBO Midtown Direct 6248, departing MSU at 4:13 p.m. and arriving at PSNY at 5:08 p.m. Hoboken customers can transfer from Train 6248 to Train 430 at Newark Broad Street. Train 430 departs Newark Broad Street at 4:57 PM and arrives in Hoboken at 5:13 PM.
- MOBO Midtown Direct 6252, departing MSU at 5:07 p.m. and arriving at PSNY at 5:57 p.m. Hoboken customers can transfer from Train 6248 to Train 430 at Newark Broad Street. Train 432 departs Newark Broad Street at 5:56 PM and arrives in Hoboken at 6:13 p.m.
NJ TRANSIT bus service will be enhanced along three routes which travel along the Montclair-Boonton line to/from Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) — Bus Route Nos. 324, 191 and 192 — to accommodate an anticipated increase in customer demand during the summer track work.
DeCamp bus service is another travel option, however DeCamp is NOT cross honoring NJ TRANSIT passes/tickets. A DeCamp bus ticket must be purchased.
Ticketing/Fares for Montclair-Boonton Line Customers
Montclair-Boonton Line fares will be adjusted to offset the cost of PATH or NY Waterway (NYWW) ferry travel options into New York City during June, July, August and September. This provides customers with the ability to choose the alternative travel option which best suits their commute to New York City. The adjusted fare amount will be based on the customer’s origin and the destination stations on the Montclair-Boonton Line. For detailed fare information, please visit njtransit.com/inform.
Montclair-Boonton Line customers may purchase their PATH tickets at the large PATH Ticket Vending Machine in Hoboken Terminal or any one of the New York City PATH stations.
NY Waterway Ferry Option
Montclair-Boonton Line customers choosing to take ferry service into New York City during the summer may purchase a rail-ferry monthly combination pass at any of NJ TRANSIT’s Ticket Vending Machines (TVMs), Ticket Offices or the MyTix feature on the mobile app. Customers who prefer to buy one-way ferry tickets can purchase them at an adjusted fare by displaying their valid Montclair-Boonton Line ticket at the designated ticket window located in Hoboken Terminal.
- Montclair-Boonton monthly passes with the adjusted fares will be available for purchase beginning May 19 at 5 p.m.
- Weekly/One-Way/Round Trip/Ten-Trip/Reduced Fare tickets with the fare adjustment will be available for purchase beginning June 13.
- Adjusted Montclair-Boonton Line rail tickets and passes will be valid only for rail service on the Montclair-Boonton Line.
As a result of operating with fewer tracks in PSNY, some trains in/out of PSNY may be required to utilize shorter platforms and will be required to have fewer cars. To make maximum use of the limited track space at PSNY, some trains that currently operate with 10 cars will be reduced to 9 cars.