Washington Street YMCA
COURTESY MONTCLAIR HISTORY CENTER The Washington Street YMCA was an institution in Montclair,
helping young black men build character and physical health
and intellect since the early 1900s.

A dedication ceremony for the Washington Street YMCA memorial plaque will be held at Charles H. Bullock School on May 18, 10 a.m.

The Charles H. Bullock School, which opened in 2010, was built on the former site of the Washington Street Y and pays tribute to Charles H. Bullock, who served as the Washington Street Y’s Executive Director from 1916 to 1935.

The ceremony will include opening remarks from Superintendent Kendra V. Johnson, who will also provide a brief history of the Washington Street Y; performances by Hillside’s Drums of Thunder (weather permitting) and the Montclair High School Chorus; and the unveiling of the memorial plaque.

The Washington Street Y opened in 1926 and was demolished in 2005.