By STEVEN DESALVO
For Montclair Local
Editor’s note: If you’ve eaten a dish at a local restaurant you’re dying to make at home, drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When it comes to enjoying a spring and summer evening is with a s’more. Few things are more satisfying than the proper blend of chocolate, graham cracker, and of course a toasted marshmallow. This vanilla marshmallow recipe from Vanillamore Dessert Kitchen, 349 Bloomfield Ave., will be just the thing for your Summer s’mores!
They are a part of the signature s’mores tapas menu item there, served with hot chocolates, available in a package for retail purchase. They also serve them as a special treat at the end of guests’ meals.
Vanilla Bean Marshmallows
Yields 1/2 sheet pan (90 – 1 inch marshmallows)
28 grams (just about 1 ounce) powdered gelatin
1 1/3 cups cold water
21 ounces granulated sugar
14 ounces corn syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup confectioners’ sugar plus 1/2 cup cornstarch, for coating the marshmallows
- Line a 1/2 sheet pan with parchment and coat with oil.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whip attachment, bloom gelatin with 2/3 cups of cold water. Add the salt and vanilla.
3. In a large saucepan, combine 2/3 cups of water, the granulated sugar, and corn syrup. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 240F. Remove from the heat and let the bubbles dissipate.
4. Turn the stand mixer on medium and pour sugar mixture into the gelatin. Increase to a higher speed. Mix until the mixture is thick and the volume has doubled.
5. With an oiled spatula, pour the marshmallow mixture into a sheet pan and work quickly to spread and flatten it. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch mixture.
6. Let them set overnight, then cut them to the desired shape with a well oiled knife. Dust each marshmallow with confectioners’ sugar mixture.
Vanillamore Dessert Kitchen
349 Bloomfield Ave.